Sunday, April 17, 2005

Coming Out

Four years ago today I came out to my mother.
My god that was a terrifying night.
It wasn't even planned.
We were eating dinner...just the two of us.
My brother was working that night.
We were eating stir fry I think.
We got into the conversation of my mother dating and getting a life.
Then she turned the table on me.
Asked why I didn't date.
I told her I wasn't interested.
She asked if I wasn't interested in dating or in men.
I was floored.
Speechless.
I told myself that if she ever asked me, I wouldn't lie.
And I didn't.
I told her flat out that I didn't like guys.
She asked how long I had felt that way.
I told her since I was 8 years old.
She cried.
I cried.
She went in the bathroom.
I did the dishes and continued to cry.
She came out of the bathroom and came up to me.
She gave me a hug and said she loved me no matter what.

Yellow. Pure Yellow.

3 comments:

author said...

Wow,
I wish my mother would have been so open, honest and accepting.
Oh I know it probably privately took her some time to stop crying.
But she supported you to your face
that night and that truth is indeed pure yellow for you.
My mom came around and eventually loved my partner.
She had her own way.
Great Blog !
I'll be back.

Jeulean said...

Your Mom is my hero! Thank you for sharing.

Jeulean

Playground In My Mind said...

Wow! What a great story. I think it is great that you found the support that you deserve. It is strange to me that parents can't accept their children. Then again, when I was a young, my dad called me Two-Ton-Tessie. He probably doensn't remember it; I laughed out loud with him and my brother. But even this moment, I feel sick in my stomach. I feel like crying. Good for you and for her.;) Nice post. Renee