Sunday, April 17, 2005

The Origin Of Wady

Where did my nickname come from?
Well, my last name is Wadycki.
Pronounced...Waaa-dickie.
My brother picked up the nickname "Dickie" back in high school.
Thank god the person who invented my nickname picked the first half instead.

It was my sophomore year in college.
We would all leave our doors open so people could come in and out and say hi.
My friend Jessie lived across the hall from me.
While I was watching Days of Our Lives she would come back from class.
She would walk down the hall and I always knew her walk.
She would stop by my room and say..."Hiiiiii-ya Waaaaddycki!"
Eventually it got shorter...."Hiiiii-ya Waaaadddddy!"
And even shorter...."Hiii-ya Waaaaad!"

So, that's where Wady came from.
Somehow the nickname followed me to the college newsroom.
My mom would call there at night and ask for Carrie and no one knew who that was.
After that I told her to ask for Wady the next time she called.

When I got the job at Lake Central, the lady I taught with had a nickname.
It was Sam.
Her name was Shirley Hewlett.
I had no idea where Sam came from.
She asked if I had a nickname and I told her.
She called me Wady from then on out.
My kids call me a variety of things.
Miss Wadycki, Miss Wady, Wady, Wad...at least it's not hey moron or something.
Even my principal calls me Wady.
That's how I know when I'm in trouble...
She'll call me Miss Wadycki.

No comments: