Monday, March 26, 2007

The Olden Days

While we were at Brookfield Zoo this weekend
We went around the children's petting zoo.
This brought back tons of memories.

I remember going to this zoo when I was about 10...
1987ish.
My sister, Julie had to hae been 6 and Kevin was about 2.
I remember the polar bears were very active.
They were swimming and jumping in the water outside.
I remember the smell of the pacyderm house.
I remember the lions roaring
And the monkeys with the pink butts.

I remember going to the big, read barn in the children's zoo.
The big doors opened and out came a huge horse.
It almost trampled Julie.

It started raining.
Dad made rain coats for us all out of garbage bags.
I have a picture locked in my mind forever
Of him pulling the wagon, garbage bag on,
White socks up to his knees,
Black gym shoes on and a baseball hat.
He was smiling the whole time
As we trudged all the way back to the entrance
On the other side of the park.
I think he was singing "Singing in the Rain."
It was a great day with great memories.

On Sunday I got to share the zoo fun with my own family.
And build new memories.
Except instead of a picture locked in my mind
I took 156 real photos and made a movie.
Great weather, great families and great fun.

That big, red barn is still there.
Inside there is an old water well pump.
BJ was very excited to try this out.
He said that it he learned about those in school
And that they were used in the olden days...
"You know..." he said. "They used them back in the '80's."

The '80's are now olden days?
THE '80'S?!?!
Wasn't that like...yesterday?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looked like a fun day! The second song freaked Hank out... he jumped about 5 times and started staring out the window. I think he thought someone was trying to break in.

Historygrl said...

what a great memory! :)