Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Non-Mother's Day Surprise

I love summer.
I love waking up late.
I love the weather.
I love working outside.
I love not living by the hands of a clock.

Our kids are so sweet.
Ashlee is home from Oneida
And it's so good to have her home.
She finally developed a sense of humor!
Her and I have not fought once since she's been home.
She has even cleaned the kitchen twice since she's been here.
And her and Leslee have not killed one another yet.
Good sign.

This morning the girls decided to wake up at 4:30 a.m.
Why?
I have no idea.
They said they woke up and stayed in bed until 5:15 a.m.
Then they decided to make pancakes.

It seemed like they were running in and out of our bedroom every two minutes.
The hall light was on
The door kept slamming
And I was getting annoyed.
Keep in mind...it was 5:15 a.m.!!

Then I heard the smoke alarm go off.
Beeping on and on and on.
I heard Ashlee, "Oh crap!"
Did I fly out of bed to see what was going on?
Nope.
I figured that if something was really on fire
She would come and get us right?

Soon after, the door flies open again.
"Surprise!"
It was a plate full of pancakes with butter and syrup.
It was a special recipe with lemon juice in it or something.
We gobbled it up, said thank you and went back to sleep.

Tammy hates when others cook in her kitchen.
The kids love to cook, but we hate the mess they leave.
Even after they try to clean up.
I went upstairs before leaving this morning
And I couldn't even tell that they made pancakes.
Everything was clean!

It was like the non-mother's day surprise of all surprises!
Kids are cool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had a day like that yesterday too. I had to quick tell Brian "Hey, before I forget, the kids were really good today!" Its like we need to write these moments down in order to remember them! Good times.