Sunday, July 01, 2007

Book Review

I finally finished reading 3 books!
I'm such a random reader.
Maybe it's ADD...I don't know
I just keep picking up books
And keep switching off.
I just can't read one straight through.

I thought I would give a little review
Of the books once I complete them.
I love to read
And it's fun to share.
Maybe you'll like these books too.
Why do I feel like Lamar Burton from Reading Rainbow?

My ratings will be out of a total of 4 sticky notes.
Why sticky notes?
Because that's what I use for bookmarks these days.
Plus, it's almost 1 a.m. and I can't think of anything creative right now.

Chicks Up Front - by Sara Holbrook
This was a book given to me by my friend Kelly.
Her mom is actually the author of these poems.
She has written a ton of poetry books and speaks all over the world.
I met her last December and she's a pretty hip chick!
I liked reading this book because it was a quick read.
The poems were short and sweet
And it totally worked into my random reading style.
BJ and I even checked out one of her books from our library
That was geared more towards the younger crowd.
Overall, I really enjoyed the poems...and I'm not a poetry lover!
3 out of 4 Sticky Notes

Journalists Who Made History - by James Satter
Now I found this book in the juvanile section at the library
When I was looking for books on photography for B.J.
I know a lot about the history of journalism
But this had some quick profiles of some really, old, dead dudes.
Dudes and Chicks who fought for their First Amendment rights.
This book featured eight different journalists from Hearst to Murrow.
I hated reading about history when I was in high school.
And now I enjoyed it because I was reading it for me and my own knowledge.

After reading this book, I have one question:
Where are the Woodward and Bernstein type reporters today?
After their investigation of Watergate
They had 4 file cabinets full of notes, interviews and facts.
And look at what happened after all of their hard work.
They changed history.
Paris whining in jail
Rosie's daughter playing dress up in army gear
Page 1 news?
Don't think so.
This is one of my goals every year...make better reporters.

For the non-journalism dork, this book would put you to sleep.
I found it interesting, but not completely entertaining.
2 out of 4 Sticky Notes.

The Freedom Writers Diary - by Freedom Writers
I'll admit...I saw the movie first.
I'm a teacher so of course I'm a sucker for teacher movies.
I cried when I saw the movie and I cried at the end of this book.
It was written by teenagers living in a rough part of California.
What Erin Gruwell did for those kids was amazing.
I highly recommend this book to all.
Read it and learn.
Read it and act.
Maybe if everyone worked together like them
We would have a better world.
I would like to read Erin's book coming from her perspective
As a teacher.
I want to know where the kids are now.
I want to know if Erin Gruwell is as ambitious now as she was then.
I want to know how many teachers have followed in her footsteps
And spread the love.
4 out of 4 Sticky Notes.

3 comments:

Sarah V said...

I have to say that I'm impressed that you've finished 3 books already! You never finish them... you just pop on to the next one. I haven't gotten to pick up a book all summer... stupid kid! :)

Jodi said...

Hey - I want to borrow the Freedom Writers. Unless of course you did that environmentally correct thing where you got it from the library!! I too am a 3-4 books at a time freak. I always have at least two on the nightstand and one in my bag. Right now I'm reading, blink, Purple Cow, The Secret, and Networking for the Small Business (as in computers). See? Freaky reader. But you already knew that I was a little freaky.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.