Saturday, September 01, 2007

Seriously God...

Seriously God
How much more can I take?
Seriously.

This morning I was straightening out my car
In it's cute, little, faculty parking spot
In the high school parking lot.
And a kid hit my car.

He's a junior (only seniors are allowed to drive)
Doesn't have a parking pass
Just got his used car
Doesn't have insurance
Has Illinois plates
And claims he just moved here.
Ahhhhh....LIFE.

Our parking lot is like...
How can I describe it...
Ok...imagine about 300 or so 17 and 18 year-olds
Trying to find a parking spot
At 7:13 a.m.
When the bell rings in two minutes
Add 88 busses
Kids walking into the building
Parents pulling over to drop kids off
Teachers trying to get that last possible faculty spot
And crazy traffic on a major Indiana road
All leading to the main entrance of the school.
Yeah...that's our parking lot.

The kid found out I was a teacher
And almost had to change his undies.
I felt bad for him.

I took pictures during last hour.
Got the police report in my mailbox.
I went out to my car at 2:55 p.m.
And there was a note from the boy.
He apologized and told me to get quotes.
Said we can work something out and to call him.

I have to call his parents.
What a nice boy.
Some kids would be jerks
Or run away from the situation.
He stayed, he talked, dealt with it like a man.
He even wrote me a note.
That shows a lot of character.

Character counts in my book.

Ok God...what do you have for me next?
I'm ready.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Bud. Man, I'm sorry. Wish I had some words of encouragement. But your post was great. I can actually imagine what that parking lot must be like. Hope you have life insurance! And be sure and look both ways!

Historygrl said...

That stinks... but the kid sounds like he has good character. You're right, his parents should be proud of him.