Monday, September 03, 2007

Book Review #5

I just finished reading Speak by Laurie Halse Anserson.
Tammy asked me to read it for her.
She was thinking about reading it to her class
And wanted my opinion on it before she read it.
A student gave her the book
And said it would be good to read.

I liked this book a lot.
It is written from the point of view of a high school freshman.
As far as dialogue goes...she barely ever speaks.
But the book revolves around the conversations
In her head.

She is an outcast in school and in life.
She wasn't always an outcast though.
The reader finds out why during the third quarter of the book.
She was at a party, was raped and called the cops.
Everyone at the party thought she just wanted to get everyone in trouble.
But really...no one knew the real story.

This book is very revealing and written wisely.
It is humorous in parts, and serious in others.
I felt very connected to the main character.

4 out of 4 Sicky Notes.

No comments: